Prior to learning about the role of Unified Communication in an effective VoIP set up, let us get acquainted with the term UC or Unified Communications.
Unified Communications (UC), which is also at times referred to as Unified Messaging (UM), is a technology that integrates different types of communication networks like voice mails, emails, instant messaging, faxes, video conferencing, etc. into a common interface and repository.
Now this technology can be implemented in a number of ways in a particular business organization. In its rudimentary form, the technology provides a feasible way of accessing various modes of communication. Each of these communication modes is unique in its own way, with a number of features that come to the aide of the users. However, more sophisticated communication technology provides more advanced and value added features that only improve the functionality in a number of ways.
When it comes to implementing Unified Communication, it does not ask for VoIP. A regular telephone system can be used, as VoIP by default comes up with mechanisms that include FMFW or Find Me Follow Me functionality, and a number of other features that are used in a typical Unified Communication system.
Using Unified Communications in a Business Environment
Unified Communications has made a valiant headway into the world of enterprise fraternity. Its effects are more visible in the enterprise business community, though SMBs have also started using it. This is because it not only simplifies the life of the end users, it also comes in handy when it comes to reducing the cost of running a small scale business. Also, it makes the issue of communication less cumbersome, thus affecting the use of VoIP in a great way. Moreover, with more and more availability of the technology, the cost if its implementation is getting lesser and lesser, making the VoIP based UC more acceptable to the small scale businesses.
Some of the fundamental features of Unified Communications system are that it can increase productivity, especially when it comes to businesses that depend on constant communication with customers, partners and vendors 24×7, thus increasing the efficacy of the VoIP by many folds.
Unified Communications Features that help VoIP
- Use of the same interface as well as device for accessing emails and faxes, voice mails and the likes.
- Option that helps to set priorities on messages and callers, so that the end users are able to retrieve high priority messages and take actions promptly and accordingly.
- Help to response to a particular message quickly without having the exit the messaging system. It also helps to forward a particular message to another recipient within a single call.
- Send single or multiple voice messages in the form of email attachments to a single or multiple users. There is also the option of setting up an automatic call or message forwarding options so that a designated person will always get a copy of the message or mail of the recipient by default.
- Sending messages to more than one person by making a single call.
- Use of text-to-speech translation to help end users read the email messages over phone.
- Answering to email messages from by dictating over phone.
- Use of text-to-speech translation to enable reading of email messages over phone.
- Access fax messages over phone and forward the same to others by attaching them with emails.
- Another very effective feature of a typical Unified Communications system that helps VoIP is its ability to track and trace the location of a user wherever the individual is available at a particular phone number.
Hence, the growing use and adoption of VoIP technology has brought in a revolution in the world of telecommunication in the business fraternity and the Unified Collaboration or UC is a substantial force, which helps to drive this adoption of VoIP in the business fraternity.
At PhoneAM, we have the knowledge and experience to prepare a blueprint for your shift to VoIP. Call us today and we will guide you through the whole process.
PhoneAmerica Corporation is a leading supplier of advanced telecommunication systems for small and large business environments. A total service company, PhoneAmerica serves as a single point of contact for today’s growing communication needs, offering a wide range of telephone equipment, wiring, surveillance systems, telephone cost accounting systems, and voice processing systems.
Please call (800) 836-3601 for a free evaluation of your current system and the system you will need to carry your business into the FUTURE.